Monday, January 24, 2011

Plot your trajectory. Start at the bottom, then tell me where you are...

Happiness!

Start working again, because you are doing it out of a sheer love for what you do.  This isn't the same as working because you love who you work with.  Note the distinction.

Don't work, but have an ownership level that lets you do what you want and still meets all your needs.

Work because you love who you work with.

Work for prestige.

Work to take care of your family, please your parents, or distract yourself.  Or maybe all 3.

Work to feed yourself and put a roof over your head.

1 comment:

Foodstamps said...

Well, I do, by necessity, work to support myself and my family. Any level of prestige I have comes from doing good work and the right thing by my clients, and that is important as far as acquiring future work and maintaining a good conscience. I pretty much hate working with other people because they don’t share my priorities or work ethic.

I’m a bit confused as to what ‘ownership level’ means, but I’ll infer that it means that you get to call your own shots. I get to do this 90% of the time. Gratifying. It took a long time to get there.

I do love what I do for work, and I am good at it! The pay ain’t half bad, and I have lots of sharp, noisy, dangerous tools I get to work with which are also quite handy to have around the house. Loads and loads of fun! My clients love me. I take good care of them, and they take good care of me. Pretty cool.

The most important benefit of work, though, in my opinion, is what it teaches you about yourself. Kicking the living shit out of a job that you thought was beyond you, that’s a great feeling, and goes a log way as far as figuring out what you are made of.