Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Maniac cat

So my cat Bitey is a shelter rescue cat.  He was the only one, out of a litter found in the woods back in 2007, that was recoverable, marginally, as a house pet.

He is a handful, needless to say.  He is probably like cats were when they first started associating with humans.  He relies on instinct, and doesn't trust, even though I spoil the hell out of him.  He is a maniac around the house, and tears shit up.  He trusts me, but conditionally.  He can turn into a ball of claws and teeth on a moment's notice.  He hates every human aside from me.  He does understand that he is the small cat, and I'm the big cat, though.

So tonight, he was keeping the couch warm for me while I was surfing, then relinquished my spot when I came around to sit down, and he pretty much flipped over and let me pet his belly, without the usual biting, and quite honestly I took that as a new sign of trust.  The whole tummy was up for grabs.  Feet, legs, fancy pants, etc.  He was chirping and mewing like a kitten while I petted him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! I want a rescue cat some day. When you win their trust and love, it must be way more real and rewarding than a cat that's always brought up that way.