Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Epic Memphis Style Dry Ribs


I've been tinkering with making epic Memphis style dry ribs for a while, and I've been knocking them out of the park the last month or so.  Lucky neighbors get "rib drive-bys" with these, and so far the feed-back borders on insanity.

I start with Saint Louis style ribs from Costco.  They are already seasoned, but so timidly so that they probably shouldn't have bothered.  I add my own rub to them [with a lot of play in exactly what goes into that], then run down this list:

a)  1st hour on the smoker, adding my own rub and using different combinations of wood;

b)  Second hour on the smoker, maybe adding this and that different wood into the mix, while spritzing every 15 minutes or so with fruit juice - I've tried apple [good] and pineapple [very different];

c)  Wrapped in foil, then 2 hours in the oven at 350 to tenderize.

Net result has been "Holy 5h1t", and it was again this evening.

Just to add ATL area context: I'd put these up against the ribs from Heirloom Market, Community 'Cue, or Big Shanty.

No comments: