Monday, October 03, 2011

Not sure what to read into this, if anything

Back during my very lean undergraduate years, my food budget was also very lean.  Maybe a couple of dollars a day.  I learned to do magic with Ramen noodles and canned soup, maybe some cheese on top, and even a foray into potted meat food product now and again.  And lots of canned tuna, and sardines, and generally cheap eats.  Also, I learned to copy the coupons we got at the start of the semester that were loss leader items into some of the cheap eat places around the campus.  I digress...

One item occasionally on the menu back then was canned corned beef hash.  It was cheap, it was tasty, and yet very filling.  Better than having Pork & Beans for supper.

I was reminiscing the other day, and grabbed a can of said hash, when I was bored and out of dinner ideas.  It was actually not horrible. 

Then things got complicated:  Bitey smelled it, and he wanted it.

I gave him a couple of spoonfuls on his dinner plate, and he went nuts over it.  He ate every bit of it and licked the plate clean.

I'm trying to figure out if I had cat food for supper, or if he had human food for supper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of a tossup really. I love corned beef hash to death, but I have seen better looking stuff come out of a cat food can.

SanyoSoup said...

Exactly to my point. This stuff looked worse than a lot of the gushy food I give Bitey, and yet I was eating it. And yet, he wanted it more than pretty much anything I eat short of snow crab.

Anonymous said...

Big problem, that. Corned beef hash looks worse but tastes better than cat food (according to cats) and teh hoomans control all the corned beef hash. Doesn't look good for mankind.