Thursday, December 01, 2011

Eggs

So I live in this pretty nice subdivision, and everything is brick and looks like some kind of Christmas cottage, and people here have really nice houses, and manicured lawns, and it is pretty much the upper middle class ideal.  People leave their keys on the floorboard of their cars, nobody locks their house, and, well, welcome to how things used to be.

But, eggs..?

So the area I live in abuts some very different territory.  Homes built in what was once a *very* rural area, back in the 50's.  They are mostly brick, all ranches, and I date them based on the lack of garages.  They typically have carports.  And they are set on several acres of land.  That is what surrounds where I live, outside of woods.

One house on the road, after the road out of my subdivision, is very much like that, but it has a sign out advertising fresh eggs.  Neighborhood chit-chat rumored those eggs as extraordinary.

I stopped in there Wednesday, but nobody was home except for the huge and aggressive dog that was hitting the window after I rang the doorbell.  Today, someone was home. 

They were one short of a dozen and discounted it by 0.25, but I had to give it a try.  From the neighborhood scuttlebutt, these are sold about as fast as they are laid.  I could've gotten a round dozen if I waited a bit, but whatever.

Fresh eggs!!!  This is stuff you can't buy at the grocery store...  I've never had anything quite like it.

4 comments:

Foodstamps said...

Don't you remember when Dad would bring home fresh eggs from a friend at work? TOTALLY superior to store bought.

SanyoSoup said...

That must've been after I was at college or something. No recollection of that at all.

LC Aggie Sith said...

Oh yeah...only way to go :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! I just wish our local chicken ranch would candle his eggs more carefully...yech.
-DaninVan